Please note: We are no longer accepting unsolicited manuscripts.
Official Style Sheet.
L&R Hartley publish a variety of books and magazines in conventional print formats and also in multimedia (CD-ROM, Audio & video formats), online publications, and a monthly magazine.
We also accept manuscripts for a number of other publishers.
We welcome submission of documents for publication.
We do not charge for publishing.
N. B. Because of the recent huge demands upon our resources, we are currently not accepting unsolicited manuscripts.
The publisher, L&R Hartley, reserves the right to accept or reject publications and to choose appropriate formats for individual publications (E.g. bound book, CD-ROM, multimedia, etc.).
Out of courtesy to those submitting manuscripts,the publisher will usually choose to give practical reasons for the rejection of any manuscripts that are not accepted.
Manuscripts, once sent and if accepted form the substance of a binding legal contract, effective after a five-day cooling-off period. You will be advised by email if acceptance has taken place. Where no email address is provided the cooling-off period is extended to 21 days. It is important, therefore, that you keep your email address up-to-date and advise of any changes. Please also ensure that any anti-SPAM filters do not block emails from L&R Hartley.
Documents may be sent electronically using our online File Transfer Toolbox to copy the file directly from your computer to one of ours. Be sure to include your email address, as File Transfers will be acknowledged via email
Documents may be sent on paper and/or on computer disk (Mac or IBM) to one of the addresses on our CONTACTS page although we cannot guarantee manuscripts will be returned unless return packaging and postage is provided in advance. Printed manuscripts must be typed onto white paper, double-spaced, with a minimum 10 point typeface. A conventional typewriter meets this type-size specification. (See also information on [Text Format] and [Illustrations])
As we accept manuscripts on behalf of a number of publishers, so be sure to specify which publisher you wish to receive your manuscript. Remember also to include a query letter (see below).
Solicited submissions for our monthly magazine must not exceed 500 words and may be sent on computer disk (Mac or IBM) or within the body of an email addressed to the editor.
Our payments to you are negotiable and paid on publication. Some publications, especially Beta Editions, are paid for 'in kind' (E.g. copy/ies of the finished publication.) Link: [Make Money from Book Sales]
Copyright agreements are individualised.
If you are interested in writing for us, here's what we may look for in a manuscript:
1. Human interest
2. Creativity (your topic may not be original, but your approach should cause people to think, "I hadn't thought of it that way before", or maybe, "That's a good point.")
3. Factual/biblical/statistical integrity
4. Logic (does your point make sense, does your argument add up?)
5. Colour (nobody has to read you, keep it bright!)
7. Originality (Even if a topic has been addressed before, what's a new angle, a fresh thought, another application that you can highlight?)
8. Purposeful (it may be interesting, true and even original, but what does it matter? Ask yourself, "So what?")
9. Reference/acknowledgements - (quotations & authorities must be fully referenced)
11. A query letter needs to needs to be included with your complete manuscript. Link: (Why a complete manuscript?)
Query letters (which need not be longer than a single page) should include the following information:
We are currently accepting submissions for Beta Publishing and Magazine Publishing only